Sunday, July 17, 2011

Retrospective: Roots Manuva

Roots Manuva - Run Come Save Me

Way back in early April I had Witness by Roots Manuva as my song of the week, this June I bought the whole album and thought it would be a nice idea to visit the material again. The things that I loved about Witness, it's bumbling, heavy, sloppy, electronic beats and odd offbeat (usually nonsensical, at least to me) rhyming, were things that I really enjoyed about songs throughout the album, but weren't mixed as well together. Join the Dots with Chali 2na from Jurassic Five (who I really like as part of Jurassic Five) didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the album. It lacked the stumbling quality, and like Chali 2na's rapping style was very clear and almost forceful. Trim Body (or Kicking the Cack, as he may not actually be saying words) I loved even though it really didn't have that same clear beat or any rapping at all, instead it just had that slippery, funky electronic sound that fits so well in the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment