Friday, May 27, 2011

Retrospective: Om and Earth

Retrospective: Om and Earth

I was recently looking through some of my records and decided I wanted something long, drawn out, and atmospheric. My first thought was Yawning Man, but I decided that that just didn't feel right and more importantly would have too much going on. The next thought went to Om, but again, even with its simplified style, it seemed to heavy, too loud, too crowded. The one I ended up deciding on was Radio Live by Earth. I was pleased with my choice (The second and fourth tracks in particular were perfect) but I was left wondering just what made Earth seem more minimalist. They have more instruments, more bandmemeber's, and much more improvisation. I think what really did it for me was the physical connotation of the word minimalist. While Om doesn't always do "Put it to 11" sound, they usually get there in a song, and although its just two people, its no "minimal" sound. It's a "maximum", flooring, and commanding sound. As hugely entertaining as I find songs like Junkyard Priest (Great name for a song), it really never seems to have the same dynamic rise in sound. It sits where it is, a simple riff that might float off for a couple of bars before returning back to its origin. Consider also a previous song i had reviewed by Earth, the rolling Tallahassee. I had made specific mention in the review of the "hugeness" of the song, of it's pure physical power, and although it could certainly be less complex, and more raw than Junkyard Priest, it is not in my opinion more minimal, or more droning. The label "drone" and to an extent "minimal" make me think more of passive sounds and landscapes, in both the complexity of the melody and the volume of the song. Although Om may stay close to one theme, there dynamic complexity and change in tone's during songs make it much more active while Earth's static volume and complexity make it "Droning" and almost easier to listen to.

Here are those two songs that I found particularly enjoyable in their own "Minimalist" and "Drone" way, even if I don't fully understand those terms myself. It's also important to note that Radio Live is a "live" album and that the band actually does less live, than it does in studio. I'll leave the two versions of Omens and Portents up for variety and comparisons sake.

Omens and Portents II: The Carrion Crow (Live)


Omens and Portents II: The Carrion Crow (Studio)


Junkyard Priest

No comments:

Post a Comment